Saturday, January 7, 2012

Power of the Spirit + IGNORANCE


"We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." 
1 Corinthians 12

When I was a little, I was aware of the existence of God and what Jesus has done on the cross thousand of years ago. I even asked forgiveness every time I sin. It was really like every night I asked forgiveness to God because I used to sin a lot. 

Now, you maybe asking, what's the difference from then and now? You also might say, "Hey! You've been believing from the fact that God truly exists ever since. You've sinned before and until now (I'm sure you still do) and you still ask for forgiveness. SO, what really is the difference, right?"

The difference is that before, I really didn't mind sinning because I knew that God always forgives but not because of the grace, mercy or what Jesus has done on the cross. FYI, I didnt even understand those terms before. I just knew that God forgives whenever I confess (I don't mind the reason) and that's it!! That's why I didn't see anything wrong with sinning because there is God that forgives no matter what.

IGNORANCE it is! And I'm pretty sure that most unbelievers are not really unbelievers, I really believe that they believe in the existence of God. I've never believed when someone tells me that he/she doesn't pray or believe in God. THEY DO! They are just like me before, IGNORANT and PRIDEFUL.

That was exactly me before! Believing God ON THE SIDE (just there) BUT NOT PUTTING HIM AT THE CENTER. It was so ignorant of me not to know the true value and cost of the cross. I didn't even understand what GRACE is and the true love and goodness of God! And besides, before I used to think that I am just too cool to follow Christ. Like I thought, it's okay to do worldly things and sin AS LONG that you believe in Him and pray every night. 


The spirit I received before was obviously not the one from God but from the world. Even the way I used to know Jesus, I got it from the world that's why He seemed so familiar before and i didn't mind sinning or getting to know Him. Well, I didn't even know that I have to get to know Him, in the first place and that I am here on earth to have relationship with Him. That's how ignorant I was! 

Then, one day, I've decided to live for Him and everything has changed. I am no longer receiving the spirit from the world cos I have the better one that comes from the Heavenly Father. That is why I now fully understand what He has all given for FREE, though I really dont deserve it. It's GRACE! I am know proud to say that I know now what that truly means. In fact, I just couldn't help but to acknowledge and be thankful with His grace. I know now the value of the cross and it is not just based on what the world tells me BUT it is through God's Spirit which enables me to understand the cost of it. Also, I now dont have appetite for sin and I have extreme desire to live a Godly life that honors Him and just to respond in all the things He has done for me. I don't even want to do things that would offend Him because I love Him and I'm really just so in a relationship with Him. Without the Spirit, I would never understand these things nor even know at all! It is by His Spirit and nothing else!

Like what I've said, a lot of people especially around me believes in God (no matter how hard they argue about it and give me philosophical reasons or studies -- which for sure they googled) and knows how to pray or even believes in prayers. The thing is, they just like me before, they're ignorant and most of them, their pride are eating them up whole and alive. Obviously, they're receiving the spirit from this world and don't want to let go all the things of this world.

Just like what pastors in our church always say, 
"You'll never know how good the good news if you dont even know how really bad our situation before Jesus."

So, my prayer goes to all people who doesn't know Jesus. I pray that they would encounter Jesus the way I've encountered Him. I pray that they would open their eyes in the truth where God will lead them by the help of the Holy Spirit. I pray that they will seek God and that they would understand what God has given them and done in their lives. Thank you God for your overflowing grace that we never deserve and for sending Your sinless and perfect son to die for sinners, like me, on the cross. Thank you God for the Spirit that comes from you that enables us to understand the things You've given out of Your love for us! Thank YOU Jesus for being our teacher, friend and more importantly, our Savior! 

In Jesus name I pray, 
AMEN