Thursday, May 15, 2008

Technological Determinism

Sleeping is the hardest thing I can't do every night. Maybe it's because I am enjoying too much sleep during day time. And due to that sleeping derptivation I am experiencing every night I've decided to read books instead of facing the computer and TV before I lay down to sleep. And so the other night I decided to read the other chapters that haven't been discuss to our class last semester of the book entitled Communication Theory by Em Griffin.

I've read the entire chapter 23 of Technological Determinism by Marshall McLuhan. That chapter caught my attention because it talks about the cause of the cultural change in the world according to his studies. Based on what I've read he's blaming the invention of the Phonetic Alphabets and the Guttenberg's printing press which made it widespread. According to him, there are four Historical Era in the balance points of Communication history ( Tribal Age, Literate Age, Print Age and Electronic Age ). We are born in the Electronic Age wherein nothing remains untouched by communication technologies.

I couldn't get over the facts he shared during the Tribal Age. During the Tribal Age, the ear was king and hearing was believing because obviously only primitive peoples were alive during that age. Until the Phonetic Alphabets invented and people who could read exchanged an ear for an eye. When oppressed people learned to read, they become independent thinkers.

Look, I know this is just a one man's theory. All that he claimed in that chapter was his opinion but on the other hand he couldn't make it without studies. And in my opinion, he is right. If no one invented the alphabets every one is equal into our society. There will be no rich, no poor. There will be no discrimination because all of us are lie on the same level.
Plus, there will be no arrogant that will feel great because they're rich in knowledge in a certain issue.

And about the system during the Tribal Age which talks about the superiority of the ear truly amaze me.
The word JUDGEMENTAL is popular at present because of the fact that people can easily throw judgement to others by just looking without really knowing them.

What you see is what you get.

I don't patronize that because not all you see is true. Explanation matters the most and you'll be using the ear to hear it.
Maybe that is the reason why many people seperated to each other and find their own ways because they based everything on their eyes.

Judgemental people or what we call sensemakers are everywhere.
We cannot rid of them.
I maybe like that sometimes but I am telling myself not to be because I never know that person,
so why judge him/her? :)