Friday, July 20, 2012

When you don't understand why you're there right now..


Do you love listening to success stories?

Suppose there are two rich men in front of you ready to share their success stories. One is a man who grew up in a wealthy family and the other one is an ordinary man who used to be a bus conductor but now owns 250 bus terminals around the country. Which story would you like to hear? :-)

People love to hear rugs to riches stories, right? 

I thought of this last night while remembering a business owner friend of mine from the church. His business has been slow these days and based on our friend's story, sometimes he couldn't help but to question God. Like our friend said he's doing things that way it should be done, praying in a proper way, etc. But he still wonders why things go that way.

I cannot blame that friend of mine because I'm also guilty about it. Sometimes we're being faithless when things don't go the way we are expecting it to happen. 

As I was remembering that friend of mine and thinking about my present situation, God spoke to me through His Word. I was re-reading Genesis and last night, I was in Joseph's story.

One of the my favorite characters in the Bible is Joseph. Not only that he was able to overcome everything that happened to him but also because of him being trustful to God's plans and purposes. We all know what happened to Joseph and his responses after all the sufferings and struggles, very encouraging!

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
Genesis 50:20

Sometimes God puts us in a dark place to see the light. When there is too much light, can you see the beautiful stars? How about the perfect shape moon? See? It takes darkness for us to see the lightness of God.

Also, this makes me remember Jesus when He healed a blind man since birth in John 9. The disciples asked Him who sinned (he or his parents) to make him blind. But Jesus said, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Sometimes there is really nothing wrong with us! But things happen.. so that the works of God might be displayed in us. Yes, we may plan accurately, pray harder, serve the ministry 24/7 but those things will not make God move in a way that we are expecting! 

As His children, He is allowing us to go through the season of suffering not just to test our faith and character but He also wants our brothers and sisters to find rest and encouragement through our battles and struggles. God's plans for our lives are meant to be shared. He wants others to know His power and goodness through us and in us.

The thing is, we just really need to trust His works.. No matter what you're going through right now.. You may be praying and believing God for something and I assure you, He's moving now.. Maybe not the way we are expecting but just have faith, after all, He knows what He's doing, He is God, remember? :-)

Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.
Isaiah 65:24